For a long time you have been waiting for an article that discusses foods, talking about each specific category of food, but we do not like listings, given that many times they are used incorrectly.
Even so, nutritionists are conscious that sometimes more direct guidelines are needed, besides educating and teaching the habits to avoid the emergence of the functional symptoms of DAO Deficit. We should keep in mind that the main symptoms are: migraine, intestinal problems, muscular pain and atopic skin, among others.
To begin with, after receiving the diagnose with a special blood test, a specialist must be visited, in particular a nutritionist. At the beginning, a Phase 1 diet will be proposed; this is why these foods have to be avoided:
- Cold cuts: chorizo, salami, fuet, sausage, black pudding, bacon, frankfurt, pâté…
- Citric fruits: orange, grapefruit, tangerine, kiwi, pineapple.
- Dairy: animal milks, yogurt, butter, ice-cream, mature and semi-mature cheese.
- Fermented foods: fermented cabbage, sauerkraut, tofu, tempeh.
- Oily fish, canned fish and seafood: salmon, tuna, canned tuna, smoked salmon, canned anchovies, shrimp, clams, mussels, oysters…
- Precooked foods: pizzas, croquettes, vegetables creams, lasagne, fish sticks….
- Egg whites
- Alcoholic beverages: wine, cava, beer, distilled beverages, spirits…
- Nuts: walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios, peanuts…
- Seasonings: soya sauce, curry, monosodium glutamate, balsamic vinegar and mustard.
- Sweets: industrial bakery.
Besides these main foods, given that this is the first phase, the following foods must also be taken into account:
- Other fruits: strawberry, banana, avocado.
- Vegetables: courgette, pumpkin, spinach, eggplant, tomato, cucumber.
- Cephalopods: sepia, squid, octopus…
- Other seasonings: apple vinegar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, anise.
Remember that it is called low histamine diet to simplify, but some of these foods actually contain little histamine. Some are rich in amines, they release endogenous histamine or they block the Diamino Oxidasa enzyme (DAO).